In this guide, we’ll take a look at the best deep fat fryers. We’ve compared capacity, features, safety enhancements and cost to give you our top recommendations.
What is The Best Deep Fat Fryer?
More Detailed Deep Fat Fryer Reviews
Swan SD6080N Deep Fat Fryer Review
Enjoy all the taste of those family favourites like deliciously crisp chips, onion rings and southern fried chicken with this versatile square deep fat fryer. Perfect for more exotic choices like samosas and spring rolls, you can also enjoy sweet treats like doughnuts and fritters.
A four-gear temperature function with a fully adjustable thermostat allows you to easily control the heat and the generous 2.5 litre capacity caters for all the family.
Safety features abound with a fixed oil container to keep oil within the fryer as it cooks plus a frying basket with cool touch handle. The easy clean non-stick pan makes clearing up super simple – just wipe with a damp cloth ready for next time.
- Ideal compact size for kitchens which don’t have a lot of space
- Snug fitting on a worktop due to the rectangular shape
- Perfect capacity for two people
- Non-stick easy clean pan
- No filter to capture food residue to keep the oil pure
Russell Hobbs Deep Fat Fryer Review
This stylish black deep fat fryer is the ideal kitchen aid delivering perfectly cooked chips, fried chicken and fish for those special menus. Spacious enough to cook up to four portions at once, this fryer easily caters for a family meal.
Safety is paramount with appliances from Russell Hobbs. This deep fat fryer has non-slip feet, a handle lifting system and cool touch walls. The large observation window removes the temptation to peek inside while the food is cooking.
An adjustable thermostat allows you to cook a variety of different foods and the non-stick coating on the pan makes serving easy and safe. The carbon odour filter keeps kitchen smells to a minimum whilst you fry.
- Represents good value for money with the same features as more expensive models
- Perfect size for a couple
- Light enough to move around the kitchen or take to different locations
- Carbon odour filter is ideal for small kitchens
- Depending on the type of food, the basket doesn’t always go low enough into the oil
- There is no ‘on/off’ switch on the fryer, it has to be disconnected at the wall
Aigostar Deep Fat Fryer Review
Produce professional results every time with this family-sized deep fat fryer. 2200W power means a quick preheat and a handy window in the lid means you can safely keep an eye on what’s cooking.
The adjustable thermostat allows a range of temperatures to suit your menu with an indicator light to let you know when the food is ready. A filter oil fume keeps odours to a minimum.
Stainless steel housing means that hot oil stays firmly within the fryer and a cool touch handle makes removing the basket slick and safe. The non-stick oil container ensures cleaning is quick and efficient whilst the lid, fryer pot and basket are all dishwasher safe.
- Looks sleek and professional in the kitchen
- Doesn’t take up too much room on the worktop
- Accurate thermostat compared to other more expensive brands
- Covered cooking is ideal for households with kids – the inspection window lets you keep an eye on the food
- Printed information on the fryer rubs off quickly and becomes unreadable
- Basket is flimsy especially when fully loaded
Breville VDF108 Easy Clean Deep Fryer Review
Serve up family favourites or try something new at mealtimes with this stylish and well-designed deep fat fryer from Breville. Fully digital, the display is easy to read with a simple timer and sound alert.
The safety locking lid and a rise and fall basket means draining food is easy and safe. A spacious 1kg capacity accommodates family-sized portions and special treats for parties and barbeques.
The lid and enamel bowl are both removable for easy cleaning. The gloss white finish with polished stainless-steel trim makes this deep fryer a stylish addition to any kitchen.
- All the removable parts including the lid are dishwasher safe so easy to clean
- Odours are kept under control with the permanent filter
- Removable inner oil container for easy cleaning
- Stylish gloss white and silver finish
- Small basket makes it hard to cook chips evenly as there is no room to shake them
- Transfer markings on the temperature control dial rub off even without using cleaning agents
Tower T17001 Small Deep Fat Fryer Review
This compact deep fat fryer from Tower is the ideal kitchen aid for small households, holiday homes and caravans. Serving up just the perfect small portion of fried food, tempura vegetables or sweet treats like doughnuts, now you don’t have to miss out at mealtimes.
A large window allows you to view the food in safety. Thoughtfully designed, the lifting system allows you to elevate the frying basket with a folding handle without needing to open the lid. A carbon filter contains cooking smells making this the ideal fryer for small homes and flats.
An easy clean non-stick enamel cooking pot and removable parts make clearing up a breeze.
- Changeable carbon filter for odour control
- Works well with different oil types including beef dripping
- Basket is easy to raise for a finishing fry without opening the lid
- Smart looking for those who care about style in the kitchen
- The fryer is large and bulky compared to the size of basket that comes with it
- Real temperature differs from that stated on the dial so heat accuracy is a problem
Quest Stainless Steel Deep Fat Fryer Review
This deep fat fryer from Quest has a 3-litre oil capacity easily producing tempting food for up to four people. The adjustable thermostat accommodates a range of different temperatures, ensuring perfectly cooked and crispy results every time.
An easy to remove basket is safe and efficient to operate protecting the handler from hot oil splashes with a well-designed cool touch handle. Innovative cool zone technology saves oil, an economical feature meaning you need to change the fat less often.
The non-stick pan saves on cleaning time and the removable oil container is safe for the dishwasher.
- Less features than other brands but simple to use and easier to clean
- Excellent value for money and does the job as well as other more expensive fryers
- Prepares a deceptive amount of food for such a compact fryer
- Cooks with the lid off so needs monitoring particularly with children around
- Oil tends to drip down the front of the unit from the basket support bracket
LIVIVO Electric Deep Fat Fryer Review
For counter-top convenience, this affordable deep fat fryer from LIVIVO will do away with hob fryers, containing fat and odours in a neat unit that takes up little space in your kitchen.
Watch your food cook with the convenient viewing window. Two bright LED displays state power status and temperature, making monitoring of the food safe and efficient.
The oil level and cleanliness can be checked through the window without releasing the safety lid and the ‘stay cool’ safety handle folds away for compact easy storage.
- Minimal steam and cooking smells
- Perfect portions sizes for two people
- No on/off button, power must be disconnected at the plug
- No alarm when it reaches temperature, so you have to stand and wait
- No automatic timer
Deep Fat Fryer Buyer’s Guide
There are a few major points to consider when buying a deep fat fryer; capacity, temperature control, and cleaning. But prospective buyers should also think about whether or not a viewing window is important to them, and how frequently they’ll clean the used oil? This last point may seem trivial, but oil that’s passed its best will have a major flavour impact on what it cooks.
Some factors you may want to consider are these:
More volume means more oil, means more even cooking of the food within it. Simply put, you want a large vessel so that your chips aren’t crowed, that way they’ll fry, not steam and go limp/soggy.
This is huge! Deep fat frying is a highly efficient way of sealing in juices, and cooking through meats without drying them out – so long as the oil temperature is right! Having accurate control over this is crucial to this!
Ease of cleaning
No one wants to spend hours scrubbing out a large, greasy, smelly tub of fat. So, make sure your deep fat fryer is easy to clean, or even better, dishwasher safe! Be sure you check manufacturers recommendations before cleaning, just to be sure!
Why do you want to see inside? Colour, doneness, sizzle, or to see if you’ve run out of oil. It’s not just about being a stick-beak, but who’d blame you, it’s about being aware of what’s happening inside your fryer! Having a decent sized viewing window gives you more control and will help prevent any accidents.
Oil filtration system
Whether you strain your oil by hand, or if your deep fat fryer has an oil filtrations system, this is a reality of frying. Oil must be cleaned. It must have all those little bits removed, or they’ll burn, then your golden doughnuts will taste like burnt fish. So, make sure you have a way of filtering your oil, or invest in fryers with this function built in.