If you want to feel like you’re sleeping in a much more luxurious, spacious bed, it might be a good idea to buy a king size mattress.
This bed offers you much more space than other types of mattresses, so it’s especially ideal if you’re looking for a bed for you and your partner.
How large is a king size mattress?
A king size mattress is five feet in width and 6ft 6 inches in length.
With that in mind, let’s explore everything you should know about a king size mattress.
Do you need one for your bedroom?
While you might want the extra space, there are some things to consider.
Benefits Of King Mattresses
If you’re looking for a new mattress, there are many advantages associated with buying a king size mattress.
Let’s check them out.
- These beds are nice and spacious, so you’ll have more elbow room and leg room.
- Since they’re large, king size beds offer you more freedom of movement, which is beneficial if you’re a restless sleeper.
- They can accommodate couples, and are a great option for you if you have pets who like to cuddle on the bed. No more feeling like you’re being squeezed to the corner of the bed!
- If you’re tall, a king size mattress will better accommodate your height so that your feet don’t fall over the edge.
- If you have a large bedroom this mattress will help to fill out the extra space in the room. This is important because it ensures that you can make the most of your living space.
- King size mattresses can be better for you in various ways as they encourage greater health. For example, if you usually wake up with a pins-and-needles sensation in your arms or legs, this could be because your current bed is too cramped and your sleeping position is cutting off your blood circulation. Having more space in your bed will enable you to move around easier during sleep, which means that you’ll have better blood circulation.
- You’ll achieve better sleep quality by choosing a king size bed. This is because you’ll avoid waking up with pain, discomfort, or tension in your body.
So, What Are Its Potential Drawbacks?
Before purchasing a king size mattress, there are some potential drawbacks to consider.
These include the following:
- Purchasing a king size bed will require you to spend more money on sheets and other bedding, as well as bed frames and headboards because they will all have to be much larger in size.
- Moving a king size bed is difficult. You might battle to fit the mattress through passages or tight corners in your home. This can prove problematic when you purchase the mattress as you might battle to get it into your bedroom. Similarly, you might battle to move the mattress if you need to take it to a new house.
- It might be too big for you. If you don’t need the extra space, you might wonder if you really need to buy a king size mattress. There are, after all, other ways in which to make your current mattress more comfortable and luxurious.
- It might be out of your price range. Bear in mind that a king size mattress will be quite a bit more expensive than a double mattress, plus you will need to purchase bedding for it, as we mentioned earlier.
Things To Consider When Purchasing A King Size Mattress
Based on the advantages and disadvantages of a king size mattress, before you buy one for your bedroom it’s good to consider some important factors.
Measure the Bedroom Space
You don’t want to buy a mattress that won’t fit in your room!
Ideally, a mattress needs to leave enough space around it so that you can move freely in the room instead of feeling restricted. You should aim to have at least 30 inches of space all around the bed so that you can move around.
If your bedroom is really small, a king size mattress won’t be able to give you enough space, which will make it feel awkward. You don’t want to find it difficult to move around the bed whenever you need to.
Even if you have enough space to move around the mattress, you don’t want the bed to look too large for the room.
Bear in mind that you also have to take into account the extra accessories you will need for the mattress, such as a baseboard or platform, a headboard, and even nightstands on both sides of the bed.
All of these will take extra space and require enough wall space. Ideally, even if the mattress fits into your bedroom, you want it to look like the rest of the room is in proportion.
If there’s too much space that’s dedicated to the bed and not enough for other objects in the room, this will look strange.
Make Sure It Will Fit Into Your Home
It’s one thing to ensure that your mattress can fit inside your bedroom, but also make sure that the mattress will be able to get to your room – you should ensure that you take measurements to confirm that you’ll be able to maneuver your mattress up the stairs, through passages, and through doors.
How To Look After A King Size Mattress
As with any mattress, you need to look after your king size mattress so that it can last for a long time and continue giving you quality sleep.
Here are some mattress maintenance tips so that you keep your mattress in good condition.
- Use a mattress protector. This should be waterproof to prevent damage to the mattress in the form of moisture or spills. Mattress protectors also decrease how much dust and dirt can enter the mattress and cause it to become discoloured or otherwise damaged.
- Regularly clean your bedding. Think of everything that gets into your bedding, such as shed skin cells, debris, dust, pet dander, and even oils from your hair and skin. All of these can make your bed less than hygienic, so make sure you clean your bedding every week or so.
- Rotate your mattress. Every now and then it’s a good idea to rotate your mattress as this prevents certain areas of your mattress from being used more than others, therefore encouraging even wear. This also prevents your mattress from becoming too soft in certain areas.
- Make sure you clean your mattress regularly!
How To Clean Your Mattress
Your mattress should be cleaned regularly, even if you use a mattress protector. This ensures that you prevent unpleasant odours, stains that can still sneak in through the protector to your mattress, and keep it in excellent condition.
Here’s how to clean your king size mattress.
- Remove all the bedding and mattress covers. Put them in the washing machine so that they can get a good clean at the same time. This also helps to kill dust mites and bed bugs.
- Vacuum clean your mattress. The upholstery attachment will be useful so you can go over the entire mattress surface, including its folds and seams.
- Tackle any stains. If there are stains on the mattress, you should spot-clean them. An enzyme cleaning product will be good if your mattress has biological stains, such as urine or blood. Spray the cleaning product on a clean cloth and then use this to gently blot the stain.
- Sprinkle bicarbonate of soda on the mattress. Leave the bicarb to work for a few hours so that it will eliminate any moisture or odour in your mattress.
- Vacuum clean the mattress again. This will remove the bicarbonate of soda residue and leave your mattress smelling fresh.
What is the most popular mattress size?
The queen is the most popular size for people to buy, mainly because it’s big enough for couples to share and can also fit into an average-sized room.
Do king size mattresses vary in size from one country to another?
This is something to consider before purchasing a king size bed. However, in most countries you’ll find that king size mattresses are either 76 by 60 inches or 76 by 80 inches.
If you want a larger, more luxurious, bed, you should consider purchasing a king size bed. In this article, we’ve looked at what king size beds have to offer, as well as their potential drawbacks that you should know about.
Is a king size bed right for you?
After reading our guide to this popular type of mattress you now have the answer.