You get up in the morning and notice stains on your pillow from last night’s makeup that you didn’t remove properly.
Or you notice sweat stains on your pillow because the nights have been so hot during summer.
You need a pillow protector!
What’s a pillow protector?
This is basically like a cover for your pillow that protects it from moisture, stains, and reduces wear and tear.
While you might think that it’s an item you can either take or leave, there are good reasons why you should purchase a pillow protector.
Read on to discover them.
Why Is Your Pillow Yellow?
Have you used a pillow for a long time only to find that it’s starting to become discoloured and yellow?
This is usually caused by sweat from your skin entering your pillow. Other types of moisture, such as if you rest on your pillow with wet hair, can also cause your pillow to become discoloured.
Finally, chemicals, such as those in the skin or makeup products, can also have a yellowing effect.
There’s no doubt about the fact that yellowed pillows are unsightly and will shorten your pillows’ lifespans, which is why you need to purchase a pillow protector.
Top Pillow Protector Benefits
They Prevent Moisture
If there’s moisture in your pillow, this can cause issues such as mould and mildew, which are bad for your health.
They Prevent Allergies
If you suffer from allergies, having a pillow protector is essential because it will work as an allergen barrier. This prevents allergy symptoms from getting in the way of your sleep, such as congestion and sneezing.
They Prevent the Spread of Bed Bugs
These small critters love to sneak into your bedding while you sleep. If you protect your pillow with a protective cover, this can help to keep these bugs away from you.
They Make Your Pillow Last Longer
By investing in a pillow protector, you won’t have to trade in your pillow for a new one for a long time. This is because having an extra barrier of protection in the form of a protector will prevent dirt, fading, and flattening from happening to your pillow.
But Can’t You Just Use A Pillowcase?
If you’re already making use of pillowcases, you might wonder why you would need pillow protectors.
Well, these two items are quite different, even though it’s easy to assume that they’re the same thing.
- A pillowcase is basically meant to enhance how your pillow looks. You can find pillowcases in a variety of colours and designs to match your decor. Pillowcases might make your pillow feel a bit more comfortable to sleep on, especially if you opt for pillowcases that are made out of breathable materials like cotton, but they don’t do anything to protect your pillow from becoming stained or being afflicted by bed bugs and other pests.
- By comparison, a pillow protector is designed to increase your comfort, while wicking away moisture and being resistant to dirt and stains. This is thanks to how it adds extra fabric to your pillow. You can find pillow protectors in a variety of styles – some are soft and cushiony while others are thin and firm.
How To Choose The Best Pillow Protector
Before you head out to find the best pillow protector for your pillow, here are some important features to ensure it possesses.
- Small fabric pore size. You don’t want your pillow protector to let dust mites through it if these have collected on your pillow, as these can trigger allergies, so you want to ensure that it has a fabric pore size which isn’t larger than six microns.
- Waterproof material. This will keep your pillow much more protected against sweat so it doesn’t get damaged. Waterproof pillows will also prevent mould from occurring on your pillow.
- Noise-free features. While you might assume you don’t have to worry about your pillow protector making a noise, think about crinkly sounds that can happen with certain materials. These can be annoying, especially if you move around a lot in your sleep. Check that the pillow protector has a polyurethane interior. This is noiseless and breathable, as a bonus.
- Breathable materials. It’s important to choose a pillow protector that’s made out of a breathable material as this will help you to feel more comfortable during the night. A popular material used in breathable pillow protectors is bamboo rayon. This regulates temperature and keeps you cool. It’s also soft and wicks away moisture.
- Zippered design. Pillow protectors that have zips on them are great because they’re easy to remove when you want to clean them. The zips will also be durable. By comparison, a flap closure will not feel secure and will not fit snugly over the pillow.
- Sleep trial. You don’t have to commit to purchasing a pillow protector before you’ve tried it out. You can choose a pillow protector that comes with a sleep trial. This enables you to try it out for a certain amount of nights so that you can be sure if you want it or not. This is a great feature to look for in a pillow protector, especially if you’ve never purchased one before or you’re not sure of its size.
- It’s always worth checking the warranty of your pillow protector so that you can feel more confident about using it. Some pillow protectors come with warranties for 10, 15, or 20 years!
How Often Should You Clean Your Pillow Protector?
Your pillow protector works hard to protect your pillow against things like moisture, dust mites, and more, while also protecting you. But since your face and head are coming into contact with it every night, you need to ensure you keep it hygienic.
You should aim to wash your pillows three times a year, while pillow protectors need to be removed and washed at least once a month. This is because dirt, oil, and even allergens from our skin and hair can soak into the pillow protectors.
When you rest your head on a pillow, you want to feel that it’s clean and fresh!
Some Of The Best Pillow Protectors On The Market
Now that we’ve looked at what pillow protectors are and why you can benefit from using them, let’s check out some of the best ones you can buy.
This pillow protector is waterproof and maintains the shape of your pillow, therefore increasing its lifespan.
It has some other great features:
- This pillow protector protects you against moisture, allergens, bacteria, and dust mites.
- It’s made with a hypoallergenic cotton terry surface.
- Its membrane back coating is noiseless and breathable.
- It has a zippered design so it’s easy to remove from your pillow when you want to give it a wash.
- It might feel a little too firm.
This is a pack of four pillow protectors, so it’s great for the whole family.
Let’s explore its features.
- This pillow protector is made of 100-percent cotton that’s breathable and keeps your pillow feeling fresh.
- It’s got a zippered design.
- It’s both machine washable and can be tumble dried.
- This pillow protector is hypoallergenic, antibacterial, and prevents dust mites as well as dander from harming your pillow or interrupting your good night’s sleep.
- Some people who have purchased this pack of pillow protectors have reported that they are a bit stiff.
This pack of two protectors is great if you want a soft, comfortable product.
- This pillow protector is soft and padded thanks to its microfibre filling.
- It’s resistant to water.
- It’s hypoallergenic.
- People who have purchased this pillow protector have reported that it gives their pillow a luxurious feel.
- It has an envelope-style closure, which means that it’s not as easy to use as a zippered design.
How long can your pillow protector last?
Pillow protectors generally last for one or two years, but you can extend their lifespan by washing them regularly.
How long do pillows generally last?
Pillows tend to have the same lifespan – about one or two years. While washing them can help them last longer, you’ll see that pillows start lacking support after that time, which is a sign to replace them.
While you might’ve thought that you could cover your pillows with pillowcases and be done with it, it’s clear to see that you need to invest in pillow protectors.
These protect your pillow from wear and tear, stains, and moisture. They also help you by preventing allergies.