You might be facing this kitchen conundrum: you don’t have space in your kitchen for another large freezer, but you’ve run out of freezer space.
If that sounds like something you have to deal with, you should consider purchasing a table-top freezer.
What, exactly, is a table-top freezer?
This kind of freezer, sometimes called a mini freezer, is small enough to sit on the kitchen counter, hence its name. In fact, it’s so small that you can fit it in any area of the room.
Not just perfect for your kitchen, a table-top freezer is a space-saving, practical solution for when you need the extra freezer space in any room of the house.
But, is it right for you?
Let’s look at it in greater detail.
Table-Top Freezer Pros And Cons
- One of the most obvious reasons to get a table-top freezer is that using it frees up valuable floor space in your kitchen. By being stored on a counter, reduces the number of appliances that have to go on the floor so your kitchen won’t feel cramped.
- These freezers make it really easy to find what you’re looking for inside them without having to get down on your knees or bend all the way over to see what’s inside a chest freezer. This also prevents you from forgetting what you have in your freezer!
- You can find table-top freezers that are designed to be super-compact, thanks to features such as reversible swing doors.
- These freezers usually come equipped with two or more shelves inside, offering you enough space for many items that you want to keep frozen.
- These freezers tend to come with a flush, recessed handle. This makes them easy to use, while also saving space.
- You can also find that these freezers usually come with locks included. This makes them safe for use around children while giving you more privacy, such as if you live with roommates and you don’t want them accessing your freezer.
- Some quality mini freezers have adjustable feet so that you don’t have to worry if you’re storing them on an uneven surface as they will remain level.
- You can use some mini freezers as refrigerators, simply by adjusting their temperature settings. Or, you could convert your mini freezer into a fridge by replacing its thermostat with a refrigerator thermostat.
- If you need to move to a new home, or you just want to put the freezer somewhere else in the home, having a small table-top freezer is easier to transport than a larger one.
- Although it’s easy to find and retrieve items, you won’t necessarily be able to store a lot of foods in your table-top freezer. These appliances usually offer around one to five cubic feet of space.
To give you an idea of how much that is, you can fit 35 pounds of food in a one-cubic metre freezer. However, that might be enough for you.
- The size of a mini freezer is not suitable for a large family. This is because you should have approximately 1.5 cubic feet of freezer space for every person in your family. So, that means a family with four members will need a freezer that offers a minimum of six cubic feet.
- Although a mini freezer will reduce your costs and save you space, that doesn’t mean you necessarily need to buy one! If you don’t use it much, this could end up increasing your costs and wasting energy.
Should You Get A Table-Top Freezer?
If you need some extra freezer space in the kitchen, you should definitely consider a table-top freezer.
The same goes for if you need to install a freezer in another part of the home, such as in your office/study, bedroom, or garage.
Having a table-top freezer can come in very handy when you need snacks and drinks at hand. They’re also a welcome addition to guest rooms when you have loved ones visiting you as they’ll surely appreciate being able to have food available without always needing to go to the kitchen.
There are other good reasons why having a mini freezer in the home is worth it.
Let’s check them out.
- You can buy items in bulk. If there are savings at your local store that you want to take advantage of, having extra freezer space will enable you to enjoy them and save money.
- You can save food leftovers. If you usually throw out food leftovers because your freezer just doesn’t have enough space for everything you wish to store, a mini freezer can come to the rescue.
This appliance can save you money and resources because you won’t have to cook as much. Leftovers can really go a long way, and they’re especially useful on days when you don’t feel like cooking.
- You have a backup in place. Your main freezer can break at any time, and that can be very stressful.
By having a mini freezer in place, you will at least be able to save some food from the broken freezer while also having a way to store some foods before you spend money on replacing your main freezer.
- You can save money on trips to the store. If you are able to buy a few extra items at a time to store in the freezer, this can save you from having to run to the store very often, which will save you time and money.
Is It Good To Keep Your Fridge And Freezer Separate?
One of the things to consider if you’re interested in purchasing a table-top freezer is that you won’t have a fridge-freezer combo.
These appliances certainly have their benefits, such as convenience.
You will have all your refrigerated and frozen goods in the same appliance. But, these appliances don’t give you the capacity you need. Usually, freezers that are part of refrigerator models won’t give you much in terms of space.
It can also be tricky to use them because they’re on top or at the bottom of a fridge. Having a separate freezer can therefore be useful, especially if it’s a table-top model because of how it allows you to store it in a variety of places and you will have more capacity for items you want to freeze.
That said, it’s pointless to purchase a table-top freezer if you already have enough freezer capacity. Before you buy one, you should really consider your, and your family’s, needs.
Will the freezer be put to good use or will it go to waste?
Bear in mind that you should never let a freezer be sparsely filled otherwise this will make it waste energy.
If you’re in the situation where you currently don’t have a freezer, purchasing a table-top model can come in handy to reduce the amount you have to pay for a freezer. But, it might not have the right capacity for your needs, so that’s also something to bear in mind.
Unless you’re a single person or part of a couple, a table-top freezer might not be enough on its own – it will just be great as an extra way of having freezer storage in your home.
How full should you keep a freezer?
To ensure your freezer works optimally, you should keep it between 70 and 80 percent full at all times. If you put more food inside, you will prevent air circulation, while not putting a lot of food in it will result in the air exiting the appliance whenever you open its door, wasting energy.
Is it safe to keep your freezer in the garage?
While it might be convenient, make sure it’s safe. Your freezer shouldn’t be in temperatures above 110 degrees Fahrenheit (43 degrees Celsius) or below zero degrees Fahrenheit (-17 degrees Celsius) otherwise it can get damaged.
How can you calculate how much it costs to run your freezer?
Take the freezer’s annual wattage figure and divide it by 12 to find out how many kilowatt-hours the freezer uses per month. You’ll find the freezer’s annual wattage printed on a sticker on the appliance.
If you need a bit more freezer storage space, a table-top freezer is a valuable appliance to purchase.
In this article, we’ve outlined some of its important pros and cons to help you decide if it’s worth it or not.
We’ve also answered some questions to help you before you purchase a mini freezer, such as when it comes to what benefits it can offer you on a daily basis.